sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Vision in White - Nora Roberts Mackenzie, Parker, Laurel and Emmaline have been friends since childhood and have formed a successful wedding planning business together called Vows. Although they help thousands of couples organise their biggest day, all have been unlucky in love. Until now....

Mackenzie ‘Mac’ Elliot had a bad childhood, her parents divorced when she was two. Her Mother has been remarried four times and her Father three. Mac never sees her Father but gets occasional trinkets when he remembers her, while her Mother Linda only gets in touch when she wants something, namely money. Mac may take pictures of moments that last forever but she doesn’t believe in a HEA for herself, until she meets Carter Maguire, the brother of their newest bride. Carter is an amazing character it wasn’t hard to see how Mac falls in love with him. With his tweed jackets and quoting Shakespeare he’s not Mac’s usual type but she can’t help fall in love with his sweet, cute and clumsy ways.

This is a lovely story about Mac falling in love for the first time and dealing with an emotionally (and financially) draining Mother. It really is a beautiful story about friends and falling in love and dealing with those feelings.

Favourite Quote: Mac to Carter “It doesn’t matter. That’s the point. It doesn’t matter that my mother is my mother, or that things don’t always work exactly the way you thought they should. Moments matter. I know that better than anyone, but I never let it apply to me. Not to me. People matter, how they feel, how they connect, who they are alone and together. All that matters, no matter how quickly the moment passes. Maybe because it passes. What matters is you’re the blue butterfly.”

This is the second time I’ve read this book and when I first read it back in December 2009 I only gave it 3 stars. There are two reasons for this, 1) I’d been reading a lot of paranormal books before I picked this book up and I found the transition between a paranormal romance to a romance really strange and found getting into this story really hard as it felt a bit flat in comparison and 2) Nora Roberts doesn’t often write a straight romance story and am used to reading her fantasy/paranormal type or crime stories instead of a straight up romance so it did take a second reading to really love this book. And I really did!