sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Hammer Down (Children of the Undying, #1) - Moira Rogers While the tattered remains of humanity huddle underground, hiding in their virtual world, Devi prefers living topside, making dangerous hauls through the demon-infested wasteland earth has become. The wealth that comes from smuggling supplies to those shunned as summoner-born or demon-touched doesn’t hurt, either.
The man she meets to arrange one of those under-the-table hauls is complicated…and handsome as hell. Literally. A glimpse of the predator beneath his silver gaze and she’s tempted to break her cardinal rule: never mix business with pleasure.
Zel’s first look at the wild-haired hauler threatens to distract him from his mission—and reminds him just how long it’s been since he got laid. As the leader of an outcast settlement, he can’t afford to trust too easily. Devi’s got a reputation for running a tight, disciplined crew, but her very willingness to deal with him means she has something to hide. Not to mention a hot, tempting package like her could be the cleverest trap his enemies have ever set.

I really enjoyed Hammer Down, I felt as a reader we were given a lot more information about humans, outcasts and demons than we were before in Demon Bait as Demon Bait was more about summonours, outcasts and demons. I can’t say that I enjoyed Hammer Down more than Demon Bait because I found I couldn’t connect to the heroine of Hammer Down Devi, as well as I wanted too. I could understand her situation and her position and even her feelings for herself and her crew and even for Zel but I didn’t feel really connected to her as I did some of the secondary characters which surprised me as I found Devi to be the kind of heroine I would normal be able to connect with and root for but I just wasn’t able to do that with Devi in Hammer Down. Maybe because I’d connected so well with Marci in Demon Bait that I wasn’t enjoying such a strong and determined heroine in Hammer Down, I’m not entirely sure but I enjoyed the other characters immensely and thought that Moira Rogers did a wonderful job drawing the reader into a new series that is full of unknowns and something different from what they usually do. However, I feel that it’s really unfair to label Hammer Down as a paranormal romance because oh my god it is so much more than a paranormal romance. So many other genres would fit into this category for this series that I really think it could appeal to many different people. I wasn’t overwhelmed with the sex scenes either. There are a few of them but they fit in with the storyline (which is one of my main reasons for liking Moira Rogers so much! They don’t just shove sex scenes into their work for the sake of it, just to fit into the romance genre they put them there because they work and fit the storyline and characters well! Nor are they over played.) and help you to see the blooming romance between Devi and Zel is something more than you thought it could be (or more than they thought it would be) which is what I enjoyed a lot. The Moira Rogers duo are a brilliant pair and I don’t think you have to read Demon Bait first to be able to read Hammer Down but I would suggest you do because it’s a good story not because the series has to be read in that order, which is another reason I enjoy reading Moira Rogers work because like Hammer Down and Demon Bait some of their work does not have to be read in the series order (although it does help if you want to follow everything that’s going on ;) ) I’m excited after Hammer Down explained so many twists and interesting details to see where this series will go and how it will all turn out and who will be the next hero and heroine in this series. I’ve really been enjoying reading some of the apocalyptic type stories in the past two months and have to admit Hammer Down has been one of the best to date yet!