sweptawayagain

Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Stolen - Shiloh Walker Originally posted at Swept Away Again

Shay Morgan has stayed hidden for a long time. Living a reclusive life in Earth’s End, Alaska, she’s as far away as she can get from the trauma of her childhood and the man who hurt her long ago. But terror takes over Shay’s life yet again when an unknown stalker steals away the fragile peace she’s built for herself—targeting not only her but the one man who’s ever managed to get past the walls she’s built around herself.
Elliot Winter has lived through being falsely accused before—it ruined his military career. Now it’s happening all over again. And this time, his accuser is a twisted impostor who’s targeting his ex-girlfriend, Shay. Despite a fierce mutual attraction, Shay and Elliot broke up because Shay couldn’t let her guard down, couldn’t let Elliot in. But now they both need to trust each other to confront a psycho who seems to know all their secrets.

I really enjoy Shiloh Walker's Romantic Suspense stories and I loved the first three quarters of Stolen. The set-up with Shay and her relationship with Elliot began before the start of the book so you go into the story with a started storyline but their situation is quite nicely explained at the beginning of the book, so you don't feel left behind. Yet is quickly gets complicated between Shay and Elliot when Shay's unknown and quite creepy stalker starts causing problems for Elliot.

Although Shay enjoys the quiet life I really enjoyed how she did what she could to help save Elliot's reputation and to make a stand for her own life, even though at times she didn't always feel like she was living. I enjoyed seeing Shay come out of her shell and start to not just open up but to start to live a little more in the present. Elliot was really great for Shay and they are both such tough characters that really appealed to me.

However much I enjoyed Stolen I have to say the ending made me rather... sad. The ending split me in two and either side I looked at didn't leave me with a positive outlook for Shay and Elliot's happier ever after.

Shay and Elliot overcame so much and really bonded or so Elliot and I thought but then Shay goes and ruins it. Part of me wanted Elliot to wait and for Shay to realise her mistake and come crawling back. Which sadly didn't happen, so yet again Elliot has to go looking for Shay and talk some sense into her. Which I'm sure is meant to make some reader's think that now Shay is secure in her feelings for Elliot and everything has been set to rights they will have their HEA. But I didn't get that feeling with the ending. I felt that yet again Elliot had to convince Shay that everything would be ok and because this hadn't changed throughout the book that it most likely wouldn't change in their HEA. Which I think is mostly closer to the truth because of everything Shay suffered she's never, or for a really long time going to be just ok, she's always going to need reassurance, she's always going to have these flight feelings and I get that but Shay grew so much throughout the book I felt that she should have been strong enough to stay with Elliot of her own accord and not have Elliot hunt her down and ease her fears.
Or maybe I'm looking at it too deeply.

The villain in Stolen was in a weird and twisted way brilliant! Ms Walker did a wonderful job writing the villain and getting the villain to twist things for Shay. The villain at times was creepy and twisted yet later you could, I was going to say sympathise with the villain but that's not true for me, but I could see what had happened and how it had in a sense made the villain a villain.

Overall, Stolen was another interesting romantic suspense from Ms Walker and I will continue to read them just for the interesting characters and brilliantly written villains.