sweptawayagain

Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle

Writing Essays: A Guide for Students in English and the Humanities

Writing Essays: A Guide for Students in English and the Humanities - Richard Marggraf Turley This was a requested or required text for my first term at University but at £18 for the book I refused to buy it and instead requested it from the Library, might I add it took me nearly a month and a half to get it as well!

Writing Essays, is a short book of only 140 pages. The book is broken down into 10 sections which makes reading easier as, if you want to read only one section it's easy to find and get what you need. However saying this the book overall is written in a fairly complex manor. The first chapter 'How To Write An Introduction' is rather complex and boring, I struggled to read the whole chapter and not skim read it. Yet I did enjoy reading chapter 2 'The Middle Section: Structure and Critics, chapter 5 'Grammer and Punctuation' and finally the last chapter 'How To Write Exam Essays.

Overall, I don't think the book was very informative and I when I finished it, I didn't feel as though I'd learned or gained anything from reading it I just felt annoyed and frustrated with the way the author had written the book and that fact it cost so much! Yet the 3 chapters I did like weren't overly helpful and detailed enough, nor were they explained in a coherent manor for all ages (by this I mean exam and essay ages) to understand.