sweptawayagain

Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle

Gypsies, Tramps, And Thieves

Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves - Larry Seeley Jack Sloan played his cards right, took the money and ran. Only now it seems he may not have run far enough. Set in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, this is a story of murder and revenge. In search of a peaceful life on a 26-acre ranch in the mountains, Jack instead finds himself embroiled in a con that may leave him and those he cares for most with a loss far greater than money. The action and intrigue grows as Jack wrestles with a ruthless assortment of bunko artists like Mattie Helms, who is beautiful, intelligent, and unscrupulous; and her goon, Irvin MacSwain: a psychotic, drug-using alcoholic killer who enjoys his work far too much. As Jack tries to reconcile his own killer instincts with his new life, betrayal and murder wait for him and his friends at every turn-but will the actions of one man help save the good guys in the end?

When the author emailed me asking if I was interesting in reading his book, and checking it ticked all of my boxes I happily jumped at the chance to try something new and different by a new to me author.
Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves is not something I would have tried on my own so I’m grateful for having the opportunity to something new like this. The idea and the format of the book where what really appealed to me the most from Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves. I adored how each chapter had a different name to break up the monotony of the overall storyline as some authors/publishes don’t do this. I really enjoyed the opening scene of the book which really intrigued me to the rest of the storyline. I really liked Jack; I thought he was a great character and a really interesting hero. However, I really wasn’t keen on Jack’s love interest Darlene. Half the time she annoyed me and I really wanted to cause her physical harm and tell her to grow up, Jack could do better and deserved better but she seemed to work for him which at times I understood. What surprised me the most about Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves was the villain of the story, not at all what I expected, Mattie is a talented female who’s been conning people for years and has been quite successful with her cons. She’s out for revenge and Jack is her target but of course nothing ever goes according to plan.

Favourite Quotes:
“Once you’ve been under fire and know the sound, you don’t forget it.”

“Four hours and ten shots later, I’d finished telling Zeke everything I could remember about Sacramento. He told me I was forgiven, and in the years that followed, he’s never betrayed or criticized my actions.”

Overall, Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves was an interesting and different read that I quite enjoyed.