sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Living Nightmare - Shannon K. Butcher They are Sentinels. Three races descended from ancient guardians of mankind, each possessing unique abilities in battle to protect humanity against their eternal foes: the Synestryn.

For nine years, Nika has had one goal, to save her younger sister from the Synestryn who hold her captive. Now, the psychic bond Nika forged with her sibling on that terrible night is fading, and time is running out. But the one man who can unlock the power inside her may be the greatest danger to her.

I had ridiculously high expectations for Living Nightmare, sadly these expectations were not met and I only have myself to blame. Overall, Living Nightmare stayed in the same style as the previous three books. I happily enjoyed it more than the others but I was still hoping for something more.

It was great for Nika to finally get with Madoc and to finally figure out why his ring hadn't been changing colours when Nika was near him as Nika was so sure that they were meant to be together. I did get a bit sick of everyone thinking Nika was a crazy lady and clearly mentally unstable, especially from Madoc even after they had bonded it was just a bit over the top and too much for me. But the rest of the storyline was really great! I loved the start of the book where Nika is off digging up a gave for some bones and Madoc has to come rescue her.

Favourite Quote: "If that's really such a big problem for you, then I'll go find one of the teenage boys downstairs, take care of the problem, and be back in ten minutes. I understand from gossip they don't take long to finish."

They were some great twists and turns in Living Nightmare that I didn't really expect and was quite shocked while reading, thinking NOOOOO! That can't be...
Just a few small mentions:

Gilda, finally sort of redeemed herself but yeah in keeping in theme with the other books I still didn't like her but thought what she at the end made her more likable and admirable.
Torr and Grace! OMG! It was so frustrating! Seriously are these two ever going to get there HEA or what? I hope they at least get a mention in the next book as it's about two new different people.

The situation with Tori, (Nika and Andrea's baby sister) was weird and awful and I hope she'll eventually get her own book or some sort of HEA.

It was great to see Helen and Drake still making a great team and being happy! Their book is my other favourite too.
Andrea and Paul, meh. Andrea still annoyed me in this book too and I can't pinpoint why but she just did.

Sadly Lexi and Zach were off in Africa. There's other pieces but I don't want to mention them as they're spoilerish!

Overall, a good book that continues an interesting and different series. However if you haven't read the previous books I wouldn't recommend starting here or at any of the others, start at the first book as it'll make so much more sense for you and make it more enjoyable all round. I'm actually looking forward to the next book in this series BloodHunt out August 2011.