sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
On the Prowl - Sunny, Eileen Wilks, Karen Chance, Patricia Briggs On the Prowl is a paranormal romance anthology from today's 'hottest authors'. On the Prowl features: a female werewolf who comes into her own; a Lord who crosses paths with a fiery mage; a mixed-blood Child of the Moon who faces an uncertain future; and a woman whose sixth sense proves to be a dangerous talent.

I only bought On The Prowl because of Susi! She told me I'd really need to read it if I wanted to read Patricia Briggs other Urban Fantasy series Alpha and Omega book Cry Wolf as the anthology was the main set up to the series and I'd be lost without it!

Seriously, Susi was soooooo right! So a big thank-you to Susi for pointing me in the right direction :)

So I really only wanted to read the first installment in the Alpha and Omega series and had no idea what to expect as I'd never read anything by Patricia Briggs before but I really wanted to read another wolf type story so I gave it ago.

Taken directly from Ms Briggs website: "This series is set in the same world as the Mercy Thompson Series, but on a slightly earlier time line. It begins with a novella titled Alpha and Omega published in the On the Prowl anthology. The decision to continue the story was made after the anthology had already been published, which has caused some confusion, since "book 1" is a actually a continuation of the short story. The series has plenty of action, but there's more emphasis in on the romantic attraction between the hero and heroine. On a romance-readers scale, this series is sweet rather than steamy."

Alpha and Omega was a very brief but sweet story on how Anna was turned into a wolf without her consent and how the members of the pack she was a part of treated her. Anna had it beaten into her that she was a submissive wolf and faced horrible treatment from some members of the pack directed from the Alpha. What happened to Anna before Charles shows up is not given in detail and for this I'm greatful, as it would have been a bit too much. Anna reads in the morning paper about a death of a boy that she saw at the house of her Alpha and rings Bran, the Marrok and leader of all alpha werewolves. Bran sends his son and enforcer, Charles. When Charles meets Anna, he recognizes what she is, a rare and precious Omega wolf with the ability to calm wolves and keep their violence in check. And that she's his mate! Charles then investigates what has happend to the chicago pack and why Anna has been treated the way she has.

I quite enjoyed Alpha and Omega, even for a short story it had a good twist in the end that was slightly obvious, but I missed it but throughly enjoyed the romantic element between Anna and Charles which was lead by their wolf half not their human half which is unusual in wolf stories but it made it that more interesting because you weren't quite sure how the human half of Charles or Anna for that matter were really going to react! I also really liked that it was written in third person, so you got the pespective from Anna and Charles.

Favourite Quote: "She was pretty enough, though he'd like to feed her up and soften the stiff wariness in her shoulders."

"He cupped her face in both his hands. They were large hands, and calloused and they trembled just a little. He bent down until his chin rested on the top of her head. "I've never felt this way before either."

Overall I really enjoyed Alpha and Omega, even for a short story it has a great set up to another book that I'm really looking forward to reading!