sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Devoured by Darkness (Guardians of Eternity, Book 7) - Alexandra Ivy They are the Guardians of Eternity, strong, skilled, seductive vampires chosen to protect and to destroy. And they will risk anything to fulfill their duty, and satisfy their desires.
Tane is a Charon, sworn to hunt and kill rogue vampires. His new assignment seems like a waste of his talents until he catches up with the jinn he's been sent to capture. Half human, half demon, Laylah has a vulnerable streak that strikes right through to Tane's cold heart. He should be furious when she uses her powers to bind them together, preventing him from dragging her before the Commission. Instead he welcomes any reason to stay close enough to touch, to taste, to seduce. Laylah doesn't know why she was chosen to protect a child who may be the catalyst in a war between good and evil. But the mysteries of her past pale compared to the dangers approaching. Tane is devastatingly strong, breathtakingly sensual. And Laylah will have to trust in every ounce of that strength, because her enemies are drawing near, eager to destroy them both.

Devoured by Darkness wasn't as straight forward as I was expecting and I really liked that. The characters and plot really kept me gripped in the story and I really didn't want to put it down.

Previously in the Guardians of Eternity we've had Vampires, a Goddess, Witches, Demons, Oracles, a Gargole, Werewolves, a Dark Lord and one or two other things I've forgotten. In Devoured by Darkness we now have the Fae and a Jinn (whose a half-breed), my hopes weren't high because really I'm not sure Ms Ivy could compete on the Fae element like other authors have (i.e Karen Marie Moning) but clearly I should have kept my trap shut because Ms Ivy does not let you down. She produced something new and original with an added twist that I just couldn't get enough of!

Happily for a change the Dark Lord is not actually a viable being right now and isn't really involved in Devoured by Darkess. Which I'm glad about because after 6 books I was kind of getting sick of this non-entity being who had all this power but wasn't really around and had to do his dark work through others.

Tane (oh he's so dreamy! and I never say things like that!!) was great but I knew from a couple of previous books I was going to like Tane getting his own story. One of the reasons I like Ms Ivy's hero's in her Guardian of Eternity series is they are quite dark and grrr (yes it's a word!) but when they find their mate they don't get soft and annoying they still stay dark and grrr even, at times with their mate. Which makes it more enjoyable to read!
But I didn't really know if I was going to like Laylah, she didn't have a very large part in the previous book so I was quite undecided but wow! Even on her own I liked Laylah, girl had some spunk, which I really enjoyed. She was a great tough cookie and could kick some butt on her own. Yet when paired with Tane, she's even more fabulous. Tane was totally hooked with Laylah as soon as he say her and he just sunk even more as the book went on which was great to read.

I really enjoyed following Laylah on her journey with Tane, walking in the mists, going to London and finding out about her family that she never knew existed.

The main secondary characters, Jaelyn (Hunter) and Ariyal (Fae) didn't really pull at me but they may in their own book which is the next book out in 2011, Bound by Darkness.
The other secondary chracters Caine and Cassandra, just bring lots of questions for me. Are they going to get their own book? Will Caine use Cassandra for evil? Or will Cassandra finally kick Caine's butt and convert him to the good side? Because now Caine doesn't really have a reason to be bad guy, other than he's on the run from Salvatore and Styx. Other characters showed up of course and it was great to see Styx and Darcy, and Styx still being the kick ass Anasso.

Overall, it was a brilliant book that had fabulous characters and great plot that really added to the overall storyline. If you're interested in reading this book read the rest of the series first otherwise you'll miss lots of information and some really great characters!