sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Taken by midnight - Lara Adrian In the frozen Alaskan wilderness, former state trooper Jenna Darrow survives an unspeakable breach of body and soul. But with her narrow escape comes an even greater challenge. For strange changes are taking place within her, as she struggles to understand and control a new hunger. To do so, she will seek shelter in the Boston compound of the Order, an ancient race of vampire warriors whose very existence is shrouded in mystery. Perhaps the most mysterious of them all is Brock, a brooding, dark-eyed alpha male whose hands hold the power to comfort, heal, and arouse. As she recovers under Brock’s care, Jenna finds herself drawn to the Order’s mission: to stop a ruthless enemy and its army of assassins from subjecting Earth to a reign of terror. Yet in spite of their resolve, a purely physical relationship without strings soon binds Brock and Jenna together with a desire fiercer than life and stronger than death itself until a secret from Brock’s past and Jenna’s own mortality challenges their forbidden love to the ultimate trial by fire.

I've been putting off reading this book, as the last few in the Midnight Breed series haven't been pulling me in as much as the first few did. Sadly the same can be said for Taken by Midnight. It just left too many questions about the heroine Jenna, for my liking that I felt should have been answered in Taken by Midnight. As I can't imagine the answers will be in the next book Deeper than Midnight, as that hasn't been Ms. Adrian's style so far.

Overall I really enjoyed the progress on the storyline about the Ancient and the missing Breed mates, which was one of the main reasons I continued reading this series as I'm very interested in the storyline more than some of the couples.
I wasn't overly fond of Jenna, it wasn't that I didn't like her I just felt dissatisfied with how she behaved about the Ancient and what happened to her and how she didn't seem overly upset that she didn't get any answers about what happened her even by the end of the book.
I liked Brock, and I liked Jenna and Brock together but I wasn't thrilled with Brock's back story and how Jenna and Brock were working around Jenna not being a Breed mate.

My favourite quote out of the book actually was in relation to Hunter as I'm looking forward to his book, Deeper Than Midnight which will be out in June 2011.

Favourite Quote: "But don't you want to know what happens when Harry puts on his invisibility cloak?" Mira asked, disappointment dimming her normally bright voice. "It's one of my favourite parts of the whole book. You have to hear this chapter. You're gonna love it."
"She's right, that is one of the best parts." Brock came out of the bunk room, not sure what made him grin more, the realization that the stone-cold, Gen One assassin was an untried virgin, or the newer, equally amusing idea that the appointment Brock had apparently interrupted by coming to drop off his gear was Hunter's reading hour with the compound's youngest resident.

Realistically I'm dying to read Chase's book Darker After Midnight which is rumoured to be out the later end of 2011 then I plan to reassess whether or not I plan to continue with this series. As I really enjoyed the first four books but after that the couples haven't been as enjoyable for me but what has kept me interested has been the overall storyline with the Ancient and new Gen One warriors.

If you read this series, read it in order or you may become confused especially if you pick the series up around Midnight Rising and/or Veil of Midnight.