sweptawayagain

Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Stone Kissed - Keri Stevens 3 Stars

While scrolling through netgalley one day I came across this blurb and was extremely interested. It sounded similar to Gena Showalter's The Stone Prince which I really enjoyed a few years ago but different enough that I thought I'd give it a try.

When Delia Forrest talks to statues, they talk back. She is, after all, the last of the Steward witches.
After an arsonist torches her ancestral home with her estranged father still inside, Delia is forced to sell the estate to pay his medical bills. Her childhood crush, Grant Wolverton, makes a handsome offer for Steward House, vowing to return it to its former glory. Delia agrees, as long as he'll allow her to oversee the restoration.
Working so closely with Grant, Delia finds it difficult to hide her unique talent, especially when their growing passion fuels her abilities.
But someone else lusts after both her man and the raw power contained in the Steward land. Soon Delia finds herself fighting not just for Grant's love, but for both their lives.

However, I really couldn't get into the first 3/4 of the book, the characters didn't draw me in as I would have liked them too no matter how much I wanted to like them I just couldn't. I found Delia confusing and annoying at times and I didn't get Grant one bit. He was an enigma through the whole story for me, one I really didn't like or understand. He's so driven to be successful but you don't really know why, he's so driven to have Delia in his bed but doesn't believe she can talk to statues and thinks she's quite mad yet says he's in love with her yet he didn't act like a man in love right until the very end. Which was my favourite part of the entire story and happily made up for a not so brilliant beginning.

I enjoyed seeing Delia talk with the statues and how they were, in a way a part of her family and how she would turn to them when she needed comfort and advice. But it made it a little sad that Delia didn't really have anyone. As she had fallen out with her Father and her relationship with Grant was more sexual than friendly. However, I really enjoyed the baddie of the story and the devious ways she would try and get what she wanted and how she would react when she failed.

Overall I just couldn't get into Stone Kissed, I found the main problem being unable to believe the relationship between Grant and Delia could be something more serious with Grant's attitude and behaviour being jerky and unusual through the book.