sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Zack - Cheyenne McCray Ever since bad boy Zack Hunter left her ten years ago, breaking her heart, Sky MacKenna hasn't been able to find a man who sets her on fire the way he did. Then he comes striding back into her life bigger, badder, and sexier than before. Zack Hunter never thought his job as an Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent would lead him back to his small hometown, and he never thought he'd set eyes on Sky again. Leaving her behind had been the stupidest thing he had ever done, but this time he isn't going to let her go. And as soon as Zack lays eyes on Sky, he makes it clear that he intends to make her his all over again. When Sky becomes entangled in the case he's investigating, Zack can't help but take the threat personally. As the danger mounts, their passion burns even hotter.

I bought Zack back in 2010 sometime due to some great reviews from friends on Goodreads and thought it sounded like a great book by an unknown to me author and wanted to give it a try.

I started reading Zack not long after buying it back in 2010 but never got more than a third of the way through it and it ended back on my shelf because it just wasn't able to hold my attention. I finally decided to clear that space on my shelf and managed to finish the book but I really didn't enjoy it. I just didn't enjoy the storyline, Sky as the heroine annoyed me and several times I just wanted to slap her. One minute she only wanted Zack's body the next she wanted everything from him. There was just too much back and fourth for me on Sky's behalf during most of the book. Zack, however wasn't that gripping a character for me either. Once he was back in his home town he decided Sky was his and it was all or nothing this time but he acted more like the type of male hero you would expect to see in a paranormal romance who's a shifter than a normal human man, I think this was partly because after ten years of not seeing Sky, Zack was just too possessive with a 'me Tarzan, you Jane' type of attitude that I just couldn't buy into which ruined the whole storyline for me really.
The main saving grace of Zack for me was Ms McCray's writing style, I did enjoy her writing although I didn't enjoy the story line. I think I would read another book by Ms McCray but not if it was another story similar to Zack.

By the way, have you seen the cover? I quite like it.