sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Moonlight Cove - Sherryl Woods Jess O’Brien has overcome a lot — the challenges of attention deficit disorder, the near bankruptcy of her beloved Inn at Eagle Point and her self-perception as a screwup in a family of overachievers. Now she’s ready to share the future with a man. Her friends persuade her to join a dating service — but she gets no takers! Which is fine with her childhood friend, psychologist Will Lincoln, who’s already chosen the perfect man for Jess: himself. Will has loved Jess practically forever. He knows her faults and her strengths. But for all Will’s sincerity and charm, Jess fears he views her as some psychological case study. With her family and the town of Chesapeake Shores behind him, Will finally makes his case. But is it enough to convince Jess to take the risk of a lifetime?

I’ve never read a Sherryl Woods story before but the blurb on netgalley sounded sweet and in a way reminded me of Robyn Carr’s Virgin River series so I just had to give it a try.

I didn’t realise Moonlight Cove was the sixth book in the series, but I didn’t feel that I was left out as the reader from the previous books. Plenty is explained in the book about other characters and their relationships with each other which helped build the story and keep the reader involved in what has happened in the series so far, yet it didn’t feel like you were been given the drastically short version nor did it feel like I had to read the other books in the series before I could know who everyone was and how they all connected. I really wanted to love Moonlight Cove, as I stated above it reminded me in a way of Robyn Carr’s Virgin River series which I really adore and I think that in some ways I crippled myself with reading Moonlight Cove and comparing it to the Virgin River series, because of course they will never really be the same as they’re written by two completely different authors.
Quite easily I can say I loved Will! I thought he was a great character and such a sweetie. Trying to set up an online dating service and match people up and himself because he knew Jess’s feelings were different from his own. My main problem was with Jess, I liked her, I enjoyed seeing how she handled having ADD as it’s not something that’s normally written into a storyline. I really loved the way she worked so hard to make her Inn work and make sure it succeeded. Yet, I had two main problems, the first and the main one was that Jess annoyed me with her interest in Will. She has no interest in him because she assumes he’s only interested in her because of her ADD and in a way uses that to keep him at a distance but when he goes on a date with her friend she’s quite put out of joint by it and it continues from there, the backwards forwards relationship between herself and Will all on her behalf, just got so frustrating at times.
My second problem was that through most of the story I really did enjoy the way Jess coped and lived with her ADD, except on a few instances it felt it was added as an extra issue that didn’t really need to be there. But in some ways it did move the story along in a different direction that made me enjoy it more.

Overall, I did like Moonlight Cove but I can’t see myself reading another book in the series, but I would happily try something else by Sherryl Woods as I enjoyed her writing.