sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Breaking Point - Pamela Clare Denver journalist Natalie Benoit and Deputy U.S. Marshal Zach McBride find themselves captives of a bloodthirsty Mexican drug cartel. Working together, they escape through the desert toward the border, the attraction between them flaring hotter than the Sonoran sun. They fight to stay ahead of the danger that hunts them as forces more powerful than they can imagine conspire to destroy them both.

After reading the previous three stories in the I-Team series I just had to read Breaking Point and I was really looking forward to reading Breaking Point.

I think I had a misunderstanding about Breaking Point before I read it, I’d read something that had given me the impression that Zach and Natalie knew each other previously to the start of the story and that Zach went to rescue Natalie and then get her home and on the way they fell in love and although my idea isn’t too far off I had in actual fact got it wrong. Zach is a prisoner, constantly being tortured by the Mexican drug cartel for information on their drugs and other things but he refuses to break, he’s not far from a horrendous death when Natalie is brought into the prison next to Zach, after she’s been kidnapped from a bus touring other journalist’s around Mexico. All the Mexican journalist’s on the bus with Natalie have been killed and Natalie is dragged off the bus and stuffed into a car trunk unsure who’s still alive and why she’s the only one been taken. Thus ensures an interesting friendship between Zach and Natalie as they try to escape the drug cartel and return to American soil. But once they return Natalie still isn’t safe as she it isn’t just the drug cartel who wants her dead.
Zach was an interesting hero, at first I was unsure whether he was a good guy or a bad guy or a mixture of the two but it does become clear who Zach really is. I really wanted to love Zach but I didn’t. I could only muster up a level of like for him which is such a shame because he’s a great tortured hero struggling with his past and trying to make something of his life. But at times I felt the pity party went too far and that Zach just wasn’t good enough for Natalie and she deserved someone who would give himself to her just as he was instead of constantly thinking that he couldn’t be what she needed nor could he live a ‘civilian’ life because it hadn’t worked before. Zach was full of too many negatives for me throughout Breaking Point, the main times he was full of positives was when he kept reassuring Natalie he could get her home and keep her safe. Although, I didn’t like Zach I adored Natalie I thought she was a brilliant heroine and that she went from strength to strength throughout the story. She never gave up no matter how bad it got or what she was subjected to. Happily there were no rape scenes but it was mentioned several times and I was unsure how the story was going to go but I did enjoy it. Natalie was a complex heroine at times with her complicated past, that lead in different paths and with what she was going through in Mexico and once she returned home but I liked this I liked how it felt that it was all about Natalie because she was well written and an interesting character.
The secondary characters of course where, as always, the other members of the I-Team and their partners, which is one of the things I adore about the I-Team series as it is about a team of people and how they’re all friends and are there for each other. I liked how the guys, Julian, Marc and Gabe where quite a big part in Breaking Point as it’s always great to get more on these guys.
The villain or should I say villain’s were interesting, the main villain being the drug lord was quite weird and sick but I enjoyed the interesting twist we were given that gave the reader the other villain too. I’m not saying anymore because I don’t want to give anything away.

Favourite Quotes:
“If he died today, she would never know what she meant to him. If he died, he would never even get a shot at building a life with her, of knowing what it was like to come home every night and find someone waiting for him.”

“She was going to stay at home, cooking meals, baking pies, and making sure their life together was comfortable. When Zach came home from a hard day’s work, she wanted to be there for him, not coping with her own stress and fatigue. She knew some women would object to her decision, but this was her life, and she was going to live it as she chose.”

Overall, Breaking Point was another nice story in a brilliant series that I can’t wait to get more of.