sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Trace of Fever - Lori Foster Undercover mercenary Trace Rivers loves the adrenaline rush of a well-planned mission. First he'll earn the trust of corrupt businessman Murray Coburn, then gather the proof he needs to shut down the man's dirty smuggling operation. It's a perfect scheme—until Coburn's long-lost daughter saunters in with her own deadly plan for revenge. With a smile like an angel and fire in her eyes, Priscilla Patterson isn't who she seems to be. But neither is the gorgeous bodyguard who ignites all her senses. Joining forces to plot Coburn's downfall, Priss and Trace must fight the undeniable heat between them. For one wrong move, one lingering embrace will expose them to the wrath of a merciless opponent.

After the first book When You Dare I was super excited to read the second book and have more of these interestingly, dangerous men.
I quite liked Trace of Fever, it wasn’t as good as When You Dare but it was still enjoyable however at times I found Trace of Fever pushed my boundaries more than I was comfortable with. The ‘theme’ so to speak from When You Dare was continued in Trace of Fever, with Trace out to close sex trafficking as much as possible to keep other women like his sister safe. But Trace of Fever contains mentions of rape, possible incest, near male rape and sadistic secondary characters.
Priss is an interesting and different heroine and I found her to be a breath of fresh air, at times I thought she was an amazing tough cookie but wondered if she really knew what she had gotten herself into if Trace in the end didn’t have her back as Murray and Helene aka Hell were not ‘nice’ people. I think at times Hell pushed my boundaries more than Murray as it’s common to have such a sadistic, nasty villain but it’s not so common to have a female villain like that. At times I wasn’t keen on Trace and his hard ass attitude it got to be too much but he was meant to be undercover ready to take down Murray his enterprise until Priss came along. However, what really made Trace of Fever for me was Jackson, especially the scene with Priss and Jackson in her bathroom. Serious love for this guy, I want more and I want more Jackson and Alani, which is how Trace of Fever ended with an interesting possible set up for Alani and Jackson.

Favourite Quotes:
“Murray Coburn was dirty. Trace knew it. Hell, a lot of people knew it. But they couldn’t or wouldn’t touch the bastard without rock-solid evidence. The legal system had failed.”

“A little fear was just what Priss needed to drive home the jeopardy and wake her up to the foolishness of her plan.”

“Noble. Kind. More and more, Priss appealed to him, not just physically, though God knew that was enough to weaken his knees. But she was protective and bold. And sweet. Sometimes.”

“Naked woman and all.” Jackson gestured lamely. “It’s instinct, ya know? Guy’s gotta look.”

Overall, I liked Trace of Fever, I thought it was a great addition to the series of Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor and I can’t wait for the third book Savour the Danger out 28th June.