sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
One Foot in the Grave - Jeaniene Frost *Contains spoilers for anyone who hasn’t read this series yet!*

Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She's still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind. Being around him awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline kick of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head—wanted: dead or half-alive—means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard she tries to keep things professional between them, she'll find that desire lasts forever . . . and that Bones won't let her get away again.

I have to say that I loved the first book and thought it was a truly wonderful first book in a series and the way it ended made me go and buy the second book on my kindle straight away and then I was flabbergasted to find out that a whole four years had been skipped! And now Cat is in her late twenties and has been doing her dangerous job on her own with her team for four years without Bones around but she’s not the same girl anymore she’s grown and changed but she still missed Bones and her life isn’t the same without him in it. When it becomes clear that Cat’s life is in danger due to an assassination attempt Bones shows up and the ball starts rolling from there.
I really, really, really loved the first book, Halfway to the Grave and had such expectations for One Foot in the Grave but sadly it just didn’t work for me in the way Halfway to the Grave did and I just felt that it was too angsty and melodramatic for me to continue reading this series, however it doesn’t mean I think this isn’t a good series or isn’t worth the read I think many people will enjoy this series judging by the amount of people who would recommended this series to me to start with but there was too much angst in this one for me to truly enjoy it with Bones and Cat and the other people around them not wanting them to be together and trying to put up road blocks to stop them being a great couple, with Tate and Annette being the main two trying to cause problems, and causing the drama. Also One Foot in the Grave contains the famous Chapter 32 that I didn’t realise I was reading til afterwards when I realised and was ‘Oh! Was that chapter 32? Oh I read chapter 32” And ended up laughing at myself.
After reading some reviews on th third book I’ve decided I won’t be continuing with this series anytime soon.

Favourite Quotes:
“You must be Denise. My name is Don, but don’t remember it. You’re not supposed to know about this.” She waived an airy hand. “If it makes you feel better, I’m going to get so drunk that I won’t even remember my own name later. How’s that for security?” He gave me a wintry smile. “I can see why the two of you get along.”

Bones grinned. “Give your bloke my regards, Kitten. Can’t wait to start working on him.” I knew who he meant. “With Tate, Bones. Not on him.” His smile broadened. “Right.”

Overall, I thought One Foot in the Grave was an interesting book with great twists and turns but I won’t be reading any more books in the series in the foreseeable future.