sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Lord of Rage - Jill Monroe Princess Breena had been dreaming of her warrior lover when she was ripped from her Elden castle and thrown into a strange, dangerous realm. Lost and alone, she prayed for survival and vengeance for her stolen kingdom. She found both in a woodland cottage…in a dark bear of a man. The golden-haired beauty had eaten his food and slept in his bed when Osborn found her. Though he wanted to awaken his virgin princess to carnal pleasures, Breena wanted more—including his warrior skills. Skills the once-legendary mercenary had long buried. Now Osborn had a choice—risk his life or deny his princess her fairy-tale ending.

Once upon a time…the Blood Sorcerer vanquished the kingdom of Elden. To save their children, the queen scattered them to safety and the king filled them with a need for vengeance. Only a magical timepiece connects the four royal heirs…and time is running out.

This is my first Jill Monroe book and although I wasn’t swept away with Lord of Rage I did enjoy moments of the story and think that at some point I would happily try another Jill Monroe book.
Princess Breena’s sole role before she was thrown into a strange place was to marry well and help her kingdom prosper through uniting kingdoms, which she wasn’t so inclined to do especially when she’d been having semi erotic dreams of a warrior that she was more interested in, then her castle is attacked and she’s thrown into a new place and she’s lost and doesn’t have a clue what to do and how to get home. However she meets the warrior that she’s been dreaming of and automatically thinks he can help her return home and help her kingdom yet Osborn wants nothing to do with Breena (and I can’t blame him!) yet in the end he has no choice but to help her.
I found Breena completely annoying and irritating through most of Lord of Rage, I nearly made the book a DNF but was determined to see the story through. I would not be deterred by one bad character. Actually that’s mis-informative, I didn’t find Breena to be a bad character I just found her to be very needy, spoilt and annoying character really very princess like however she does grow and change through the book which does give it plus points but by that point I was already disliking her and I was unable to change my mind on my opinion of her. Yet I really liked Osborn and his brothers, especially his brothers! How sweet and awesome were they! I thought they were really great characters and they really helped the book and Breena grow and change and make it something more. I quite liked Osborn he’s a really tuff and rough character that doesn’t really have any polish, so he definitely wouldn’t be someone Breena’s father would have chosen for her to marry. Osborn is mad at Breena once he realises she’s the female from his dreams and that she’s much too soft and well-bred to be his wife and therefore spends a lot of the story pushing her away and wooing her at the same time, without really meaning too. Once you see through Osborn’s tough exterior and rough past he’s a total teddy bear and really great and interesting character.
My one real problem with the book (other than my dislike of Breena) was that incomparision to the other book(s) the characters were stuck in their places and lives for twenty years and had to deal with their circumstances for a long time while Breena on the other hand is only with Osborn for a short period of time and then returns to Elden to find out what has happened to her home, her brother’s and her kingdom which feels a little out of place but works well on its own.

Favourite Quote’s:
"If the man barged out her dreams, through her door and stalked across her chamber, she'd be frightened. He was little more than savage. Fierce and primal. He wielded a sword as easily as she brandished a hairbrush."

"Hairbrushing. Now that was important in the life of a princess. Especially one whose sole job was to marry."

Overall, Lord of Rage was a great addition to The Royal Hose of Shadows series and I’m really looking forward to the next two books in the series!

Series List: