sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
The Darkest Surrender - Gena Showalter Another brilliant addition to the Lords of the Underworlds.

Possessed by the demon of Defeat, Strider cannot lose a challenge without suffering unimaginable pain. For him, nothing stands in the way of victory. Until Kaia, an enchanting Harpy, tempts him to the razor's edge of surrender. Known among her people as The Disappointment, Kaia must bring home the gold in the Harpy Games or die. Strider is a distraction she can't afford because he has an agenda of his own-steal first prize, an ancient godly artifact, before the winner can be named. But as the competition heats up, only one prize will matter-the love neither had thought possible.

Oh for everyone who’s already read The Darkest Surrender how amazingly good is it? I really loved it and thankfully The Darkest Surrender has fully drawn me back into the Lords of the Underworld fold.

The Darkest Surrender is as much Strider’s book as it is Kaia’s and I really enjoyed that. Most of the back story and fore story is about Kaia and her life which I found really interesting especially when you know all of Strider’s and most of the other Lords past as well because they all have very similar history. It found The Darkest Surrender very refreshing and really enjoyed the wicked sense of humour Kaia and Strider brought to their book. I think this was one of the reasons I fell back into the Lords fold because while there was an incredible sense of humour/banter between Kaia and Strider there was also quite a bit of emotion that became mixed with the humour which just made it all that more enjoyable for me.

Kaia is totally my homegirl! I totally want Kaia to be my BFF! She’s seriously kickass and although she blows her own trumpet frequently, something I don’t greatly enjoy in a heroine I found I didn’t mind with Kaia and that she made me over look certain aspects of her personality that I would normally dislike in other heroines of paranormal romance and/or urban fantasy. I think part of this is that although Kaia is a total kickass, tough as mud, doesn’t need anyone heroine she also has this really sweet side and hides a vulnerable side she doesn’t want anyone to know she has. I loved how close she was to her sisters and how much they meant to her and how they all interacted together. I hope eventually we get a novella or something on Kaia’s other sister and friend that we were introduced to.

I found quite surprisingly that Strider didn’t annoy me at all through The Darkest Surrender. I thought, due to his behaviour in The Darkest Secret and the other previous books that I would have series issues with him and that this would dim his story for me. However this really wasn’t the case at all and I found that I greatly enjoyed Strider more than possibly any other of the Lords (for the time being!) I greatly enjoyed seeing how Strider slowly but surely warmed to Kaia and stopped making an ass of himself.

As stated above I really enjoyed seeing Kaia’s sisters being a part of her book. Gwen and Sabine were great as usual and it made me realise that their book was the last book I really enjoyed within the series (thankfully The Darkest Surrender changed that for me!) but it was Bianca and Lysander, who’s book I’ve not read, that really intrigued me and pulled at me to read their story. So as soon as I can make time I will be going to read there novella!

As usual there were other storylines running alongside Kaia and Strider’s story and I didn’t mind it too much. William and Kane’s little part really intrigued me and has set up something really intriguing that I’m looking forward to seeing how it develops in the next book or two. However, the other secondary storyline was as usual Paris’ and quite frankly his book cannot come soon enough for me, not because I’m dying to read it, I’ve gone far past that point now but because I’m ready for his storyline to be over and finished with. I’m not sure who else feels the same about this as I know many people seem to be pro Paris but I’ve really had enough now and just want Ms Showalter to finally give him and us some peace where he’s concerned.

Favourite Quotes:
“Took a real set of titanium cojones to name a location after yourself. Or maybe Cronus was simply overcompensating for something. Not that Strider and his beloved cock, which he’d modestly nicknamed Stridey-Monster, knew anything about that.”

“But if anyone so much as threatened them because of what Kaia had once done, she would turn the Slumber Party Massacre into Blood, Bath and Beyond, a documentary by Kaia Skyhawk.”

“He’s a warrior, used to control. You try to bind him, and he’ll run. This has to be a partnership, not a Harpytatorship.”

Overall, I ridiculously enjoyed The Darkest Surrender! It greatly brought back everything I loved about this series when it first started and I’m so glad I stuck with the series, with thanks to Deanna for doing the read-a-long making me get back with this series. I would highly recommend reading this paranormal romance series if you haven’t started reading it yet!

Series List: