sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Warrior  - Zoe Archer To most people, the realm of magic is the stuff of nursery rhymes and dusty libraries. But for Capt. Gabriel Huntley, it's become quite real and quite dangerous... The vicious attack Capt. Gabriel Huntley witnesses in a dark alley sparks a chain of events that will take him to the ends of the Earth and beyond—where what is real and what is imagined become terribly confused. And frankly, Huntley couldn't be more pleased. Intrigue, danger, and a beautiful woman in distress—just what he needs. Raised thousands of miles from England, Thalia Burgess is no typical Victorian lady. A good thing, because a proper lady would have no hope of recovering the priceless magical artifact Thalia is after. Huntley's assistance might come in handy, though she has to keep him in the dark. But this distractingly handsome soldier isn't easy to deceive.

As soon as Warrior cropped up as September’s group read for Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group on Goodreads I jumped at the chance to read it. I’d been interested in the series since Julie aka Yummy Men and Kick Ass Chicks had reviewed the series and wanted to give it a go, yet I knew The Blades of the Rose series was slightly out of my comfort zone as I’m not a huge fan of Historical Romance books. I find that a lot of Historical book’s are dedicated to the history of the time and tend to get a little boring however Warrior is meant to be a sort of blend of historical and paranormal that I thought it really would be worth a try. And I’m glad I did try it. Ms Archer comes up with a really interesting spin on the old world and I did enjoy the characters and the blend of the historical and paranormal, I think the correct term for the genre is steampunk? But I’m not 100%. And however much I enjoyed Gabriel and Thalia I did occasionally get a little bored with the background and want a bit more action and a little less history but that’s one of the reasons why I’m not a fan of Historical. It wasn’t anything against Ms Archer’s writing because quite frankly I really enjoyed her writing style and plan to try and find something else she’s written in a different genre than Historical Romance. I think if you are a fan of Historical Romance and fancy trying a Historical with a little twist to it I would recommend giving Warrior and this series a definite try.

Favourite Quotes:
“You aren’t taking another step on this journey of yours without me. Someone’s got to knit the socks.”

“If he wasn’t so battle-trained, he would have pissed himself for certain.”

Overall, it was interesting to read a different type of genre and book from my standard but sadly I don’t think I’ll be continuing with the series.