sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Darkness Unbound - Keri Arthur 3.5 stars...

Risa Jones is as extraordinary as her heritage. Born from a lab-enhanced clone mother and an Aedh father, she can not only talk to the souls of the dying and the dead, but she can see the reapers and walk the gray fields that divide this world from the next.
They are skill she rarely uses, however, preferring to concentrate on the business she shares with her two best friends. But when her mother asks her to help the parents of a little girl locked in a coma, she reluctantly agrees. What she discovers scares the hell out of her. Because the little girl’s soul no longer resides in her body, and it wasn’t death and the reapers that took her. Someone had ripped her soul from her flesh.
As it turns out, a creature consuming the souls of the innocent–and not so innocent–is the least of her problems.
Because someone wants to rip open the gates that divided hell from earth, and Risa is a key component in their plans. And the only person standing between her and disaster is a reaper who isn’t exactly on her side.

I’ve always wanted to read a Keri Arthur novel but was never sure her Riley Jenson series was for me so as soon as I read Julie’s review (from Yummy Men and Kick Ass Chicks) I knew I’d enjoy it and ordered it straight away. As soon as it came I devoured it and really enjoyed it. I still class myself as relatively new to the Urban Fantasy genre as I’m often finding Urban Fantasy books hit and miss yet I was really drawn into the world Ms Arthur weaved with Risa, her family and friends. I really enjoyed the first instalment with the exception of the possible Risa love triangle. Risa can see the reaper called Azriel who is a warrior on the grey fields and the tension and chemistry between Risa and Azriel is right there at the very beginning but then Lucian is introduced who is Aedh just like Risa’s father and can answer all the questions she has about her half-aedh self, yet I didn’t like Lucian as soon as he came to Risa’s rescue. I thought it was waaaay to incidental and that something fishy was a foot sadly nothing has happened yet to prove that I was on track with my feelings on Lucian I just hope he leaves the series or dies because I ‘m on team Azriel and seriously want Risa to get with the right program. I’m looking forward to reading the next book pretty soon and hope there will be more movement and action as the first one. I enjoyed the mixture of characters within Darkness Unbound with Risa’s two best friends who she also lives with and own’s a restaurant with, her mother and her Aunt Riley from the Riley Jenson series. I would highly recommend Darkness Unbound to anyone who wants to try Urban Fantasy, wants to try a Keri Arthur book like myself or someone who enjoys Urban Fantasy to start with.