sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Blood Rights - Kristen Painter Born into a life of secrets and service, Chrysabelle’s body bears the telltale marks of a comarré—a special race of humans bred to feed vampire nobility. When her patron is murdered, she becomes the prime suspect, which sends her running into the mortal world…and into the arms of Malkolm, an outcast vampire cursed to kill every being from whom he drinks.

Now Chrysabelle and Malkolm must work together to stop a plot to merge the mortal and supernatural worlds. If they fail, a chaos unlike anything anyone has ever seen will threaten to reign.
This was my October group read with Vampire Book Club and I highly enjoyed it. As I’ve stated in a previous review although I’m slowly reading books of the Urban Fantasy genre I class myself as being pretty new to it still and generally find every other book not to my taste yet, Blood Rights has such an interesting set-up that I can’t help but slowly start to fall for this series and possibly this genre. However, I will state that I found Blood Rights rather slow in its set-up of the book than compared to a few other Urban Fantasy books that I’ve read. However, once Blood Rights is set-up and you know who everyone is and which direction Blood Rights itself is going in it quickly picks up the pace and the action set’s in and I feel right at home with the storyline.
I will say a couple of things that put me off Blood Rights were, the fact that there are about ten characters and I’ve already read the second book Flesh and Blood and can tell you that the character count goes up again in the next book and sometimes I found that I was getting more annoyed with every new character being introduced in the book than I was with how quickly the storyline was moving along and the other thing was after I’d finished it I was plagued with the feeling that it felt more of a YA novel than an Urban Fantasy novel and I couldn’t shake this until I read the second book. I can’t pinpoint exactly why I thought it felt more like a YA but it was to do with Chrysabelle and the way she’s portrayed through parts of the book with such innocence and naivety. Yet I still enjoyed the chemistry that was slowly starting to form between Chrysabelle and Mal and getting to know both sides much more and their families and friends. Which there seem to be a lot of! Also can anyone say they wouldn’t give this book a try just based on the front cover?! I think it’s really eye catching and makes me want to own it just for the unusual cover.
On the negative side I not only didn’t like Tatiana as a villain but I found her highly annoying and at times pushed me to the edge of my nerves. I had high hopes that she would be killed off and a new villain would take her place but sadly I think that’s rather unlikely because I’ve begun to realise that once you set up a character as a villain and don’t kill them off it’s pretty hard to change who the villain is and may find myself become more annoyed with the villain than any other part of the story!
I would highly recommend Blood Rights to any Urban Fantasy fans or Paranormal Romance fans wanting to make that jump.