sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Deadlock (Southern Arcana, #3) - Moira Rogers Abandoned by her wolf shifter father and raised by her human psychic mother, Carmen Mendoza can’t deny she’s different. She craves things most women shy away from and she has a trail of shapeshifting ex-boyfriends to prove it.
Working at a clinic for supernatural creatures, she’s escaped the notice of her father’s legacy-obsessed family. Until they need a pawn in their bid for power. Snared by a vicious spell designed to wake her inner wolf, Carmen’s only hope is to trust the one man strong enough to soothe her darkest instincts.
Alec Jacobson was once the heir apparent to the wolves’ ruling elite, until he walked away to marry the woman he loved. She paid with her life. Now he lives as a rebel, a black-sheep alpha who protects the supernatural residents of New Orleans from the wolves’ barbaric class system. Too bad he can’t protect himself from his need for Carmen. Yet staking his claim on his enemy’s niece will turn his city into a battleground. Unless he can find a way to stop breaking the rules, and start making them.

I read so many good reviews on this book and this series I thought I’d give it ago as I wanted to read some more paranormal romance books and this series had been on my original list for a while and I had been umming and ahhing over it for some time I finally went for the plunge. I am reading this series out of order.

Deadlock didn’t blow me away but it did amaze me and took me on a really lovely journey with some great characters with a quick wit and a brilliant sense of humour that I really adored and enjoyed. I can see why so many people have been reading this series if the previous two books were anything like Deadlock. I was really drawn into the storyline, the characters and the overall plotline that joined everything together. I really liked Carmen and Alec together, however they weren’t my favourite couple and I kept having my attention pulled back to the couple whose book is next, Andrew and Kat! They were the couple that seemed to overtake Deadlock and although I liked this it really did take away some of the enjoyment you got from Carman and Alec’s story. Although their story was a bit more complicated than I thought it would have been, it was easy enough to stay in the loop about what was happening and who certain characters were and things I would have missed in the previous two books. The only way I felt a little lost was the relationship with Kat and Andrew and how they were avoiding each other and what happened between them but the basic info was there. I liked some of the characters so much, Jackson and Mackenzie! I’m going to at least buy the first book Cruz and find out some things I was missing.

Favourite Quotes:

“So calm, but she could feel the rage brewing beneath that facade.”

“I’m not a good man, Carmen. But even so, I wouldn’t change you.”

“But this isn’t a fucking date. Because you’re already mine.”

Overall, I really enjoyed Deadlock and would highly recommend this book. I’m definitely excited to get the next book in the series Cipher out in September this year. My only downside with this series is not something I normally touch on but feel it has to be stated as it made me a little sad. I was unable to buy this book from either of my local bookshops and when I went to look on amazon Deadlock was £12! in paperback which I found quite odd as it wasn’t a new release, however it was much cheaper on kindle and I had a happy choice to still be able to read it.