sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Demon Bait - Moira Rogers Fifty years after a demon apocalypse devastated the world, summoners still bear the bulk of the blame. Marci lives in secret, hiding the gifts that could cost her a secure spot in one of humanity’s underground cities, and access to their virtual world. After all, her chances of avoiding the genetic-testing lotto are better than her chances of surviving topside.
The bastard son of a terrifying incubus, lust heats Gabe’s blood and sex fuels his magic. Innate charm and charisma help him navigate the cultural gap between the outcast town he calls home and the human settlements he infiltrates for trade. His latest mission nets him an unexpected asset–a summoner strong enough to soothe his darkest needs.
Trust a half demon, especially one who uses a lockdown to trap them together? Not in this lifetime. Yet Marci can’t resist Gabe’s offer to see her safely to a selective outcast settlement where she can live without fear. The journey alone is as dangerous as the way Gabe makes her heart race, but it could be her one hope of a real life. If only she could be sure Gabe’s telling her the whole truth.

Demon Bait is a novella and the first instalment of the Children of the Undying series. Demon Bait pretty much blew me away, it’s a great short story set in a new interesting world that absorbed me from the first paragraph. A demon apocalypse has changed the world that we once new and humans have to live underground to survive from demons that suck the life from you.
Marci is keeping a terrible secret that when humans find out she’ll be used as bait to keep the demons happy. Instead of the humans Marci works for finding out what she is, Gabe realises first and becomes determined to make her his, using the lockdown as an excuse to keep her with him.
Marci is a great character that I really enjoyed reading about, she’s feisty and trying to stay positive in this new world where she knows eventually she’ll be found out and has to forfeit her live but is willing to risk it to stay safe for as long as possible. Gabe is an outcast living outside the commune from the humans with others like him, trying to survive and living with the fact that there is more to them than their human half. Gabe was a pretty interesting character, I really wasn’t sure what to expect from him because as Moira Rogers has stated on her blog that this is something new for them and they’re not going into their normal terrority of wolves and other paranormal type’s. But I was happily surprised with how much I liked Gabe and rooted for him through the novella. I really enjoyed Demon Bait and can’t wait to review Hammer Down the first full length novel by Moira Rogers which will be the second book in the series.