sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
The Darkest Secret - Gena Showalter Keeper of the demon of Secrets, Amun can manipulate the darkest thoughts of anyone nearby. But when new demons possess him, the immortal warrior must be chained and isolated to protect those he loves. Death is his only hope of release—until he meets Haidee, a fellow prisoner whose beauty and hidden vulnerability draw him into a reckless test of his loyalty…
Haidee is an infamous demon assassin, raised to despise Amun’s kind. Yet how can she hate the man whose touch sets her aflame? But to save him, she must give herself body and soul…and face the wrath of a powerful adversary sworn to destroy her.

I felt a little let down with The Darkest Secret in comparison to The Darkest Lie. I didn’t warm well to Haidee and because of this I found it difficult to enjoy Haidee and Amun together. I found Haidee to be too tough and in your face, determined to kill the Lords and wipe them out but clearly attracted to and interested in Amun. I’m not a big fan of tough in your face female heroines. I much prefer it when they are tough but more modest about it not trying to draw so much attraction to their selves while still being a strong heroine. I didn’t feel Haidee fit that very well for most of the storyline, it wasn’t til Haidee’s softer more emotional moments came (towards the end of the book) that I found them to be more suited and help explain her attitude but it didn’t help me like her very much by that point my opinion of her was formed and Amun didn’t really help the situation either I found him at times to be very contradictive with his feelings for Haidee. At parts I wanted to slap him and tell him to sort himself out! However what saved The Darkest Secret for me, surprising me, was getting the start of Strider’s story with Kaia. I read other reviews where people have been upset that Strider got quite a large portion of the book as a secondary character but to me I think it helped save the book. Without Strider, William and Paris and the roles they played in The Darkest Secret I think I would have struggled to finish The Darkest Secret in one sitting (my preferred way of reading!). I know I would have finished the book at some point because I’ve been very keen to read Strider’s story but it would have take longer than I would have liked.

Overall, an interesting addition to the Lords of the Underworld series. I think some people will like The Darkest Secret and I think some people will be on the edge like me. I’m looking forward to reviewing The Darkest Surrender and would highly recommend this series to any paranormal romance fans! This series is highly addictive and I think many people would really enjoy this series. But read it in order or you may become a little confused!

Series List: