sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Unholy Ghosts - Stacia Kane The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen, and the living are under attack. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Enter Chess Putnam, a fully tattooed witch and freewheeling ghost hunter. She’s got a real talent for banishing the wicked dead. But Chess is keeping a dark secret: She owes a lot of money to a murderous drug lord named Bump, who wants immediate payback in the form of a dangerous job that involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust for a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump’s ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah.

I purchased Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane on Friday for 99p via Amazon Kindle UK. I bought it primarily because it was such a bargain but also because I've heard a lot about the series, mainly about Terrible and Chess and at 99p I really had no reason to turn it down.
I read the first few chapters of this different new world and was instantly hooked, I carried on reading late into the night but eventually had to put my kindle down because sleep was required for a full weekend at work (damn working in retail!). I picked it back up on my lunch break and was instantly hooked again but I couldn't explain why I was hooked when my work colleague asked.

It could have been because it was such a different world in Urban Fantasy than anything I've come across to date and I doubt I'll come across anything like it again. It could also have been because the character's we're so different and complex yet happened to drawn you in, especially Terrible. It could be because I was engrossed with the writing style and the world Ms Kane created. Or because it's centred on the real world but with a twist and a great big hint of being set in England as well as America.

I'm most likely going to tick all the boxes above and leave an empty one for other unknown reasons too as there's something else about it that tickles at my brain and constantly brings my attention back to it whenever my brain gets some down time.
Which is most likely why, after finishing it Saturday evening I've already bought the second book and will start reading it sometime tomorrow.

Chess works for the Church of Real Truth, the only Church left after ghosts rose in 1997 and killed a great deal of people. Chess's job is to get rid of real ghosts and work out if people are really hunted or not. But Chess has a bit of a drug habit and she's being blackmailed by her drug lord called Bump into wiping out her debt by helping him. Bump gets Terrible to watch Chess' back while she helps him on his task. But there's a rival drug lord who really doesn't want Chess to help Bump achieve his goals and will do anything to persuade Chessie not to help him. Add in some sexual tension from the rival drug lord and Terrible and Chess has herself a little problem.

Overall, Unholy Ghosts is a really great book but I felt I couldn't really give it a standard review because it's something so different and even two days after finishing it I still can't make my mind up about the characters but as I've already said Unholy Ghosts is a brill book and I'm super excited to get started on the next one.