sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Edge of Dawn (Midnight Breed, #11) - Lara Adrian Originally Posted at: http://www.sweptawayagain.co.uk/2013/02/review-edge-of-dawn-by-lara-adrian.html

Twenty years after the terror of First Dawn—when mankind learned that vampires lived secretly among them—the threat of violence reigns as the two species struggle to coexist. The only group preserving the fragile harmony is the Order, an elite cadre of Breed warriors dedicated to protecting humans and vampires alike. And in this precarious world of torn loyalties and shattered trust, Mira, a fiery squad captain, finds that every fight bears an intensely personal cost.
Raised among the Order, Mira has always believed in the warrior’s code of swift—and even lethal—justice. But the one thing she desires more than the Order’s hard-won acceptance is Kellan Archer, a sexy but troubled Breed fighter. In love with him since childhood, Mira once broke through his tough exterior during an unexpected night of rapture, but the next day he mysteriously disappeared, never to return.
Kellan didn’t think he would ever see Mira again—or have to confront the truth of why he left. After abandoning the Order years ago, he now leads a band of human rebels intent on carrying out their own vigilante rule of law. Yet a high-profile kidnapping assignment brings him face-to-face with the past he sought to avoid, and the striking woman he has tried desperately to forget. And as tensions mount and the risk of bloodshed grows, Kellan and Mira must take sides—between the competing missions that dominate their lives, and the electrifying passion that claims their hearts.

Wow, where do I start with this much anticipated release? There really is so much in this book it's hard for me to really know where to start and with what. I'm going to do this chronically I think and start at the beginning.
Edge of Dawn is the 11th book in the much loved (by others not jut myself!) Midnight Breeds series. I have read every book in the series and have to say that Edge of Dawn would be the perfect book to jump into the series if you have not read any of the other previous books. However, I would highly recommend reading this series in order right from the very first book because it is a great series with lots of action and each book contains a brilliantly written romance between the hero and heroine.

Now that's out of the way lets get too the heart of Edge of Dawn. I have such mixed feelings about this book because there's a massive jump of twenty years from the last book Darker After Midnight and as a loyal follower and avid fan of this series I feel a little cheated, we missed so much in that time and it irks me! Lots of the main characters have had children, who are now all grown and everybody is in such a different position that I was annoyed that I'd missed so much of their storylines.
Yet as a reader I know that it will make the series so much more, because we have lots of new characters to explore and get to know. We get to see how they all interact with their families and how they meet their breedmates and grow with them.

However, I not sure I'll be able to overcome my 'I feel cheated' rant until the next book. The primary reasons for this are that Mira and Kellan were both in the previous books so you saw them, loved them, rooted for them, then they grew up out of the books and we missed it all including the something dramatic that happens and we're slowly, oh so painfully slowly, given the details of what happened in Edge of Dawn.
Kellan isn't the boy you once cared for in the previous books, in Edge of Dawn he is a man a man that is a total asshole, primarily to Mira. Even though he doesn't want to be, even though he regrets it. He is an asshole. It's way too angst for me or from what I've come to expect from the Midnight Breed series.

At some points I was able to distance my opinions that I had from the first ten books and look at this as a new series and when I was able to do that, I was able to enjoy the storyline a lot more than I had first been able to. Although it was still a little too angst ridden for me.

Despite all of this, it was lovely to revisit older characters that we 'met twenty years ago' and see how the events from Darker After Midnight has changed them and made them follow a different path than the one they were first on when we were originally introduced to them.

Overall, I did enjoy Edge of Dawn and I will be sticking with this series for at least the next two books to see how this newer part of the series turns out.