sweptawayagain

Hunted By The Others
Jess Haines
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat)
Richard Castle
Magic to the Bone - Devon Monk {Really great read except for the ending! That was a twist that was not expected but should have been due the the opening dialogue! But it left me a little blah about starting the next book.}

Reviewed on Swept Away Again

Everything has a cost. And every act of magic exacts a price from its user - maybe a two-day migraine, or losing the memory of your first kiss. But some people want to use magic without paying, and they Offload the cost onto innocents. When that happens, it falls to a Hound to identify the spell's caster - and Allison Beckstrom's the best there is.
Daughter of a prominent Portland businessman, Allie would rather moonlight as a Hound than accept the family fortune - and the strings that come with it. But when she discovers a little boy dying from a magic Offload that has her father's signature all over it, Allie is thrown into the high-stakes world of corporate espionage and black magic.
Now Allie's out for the truth - and must call upon forces that will challenge everything she knows, change her in ways she could never imagine ... and make her capable of things that powerful people will do anything to control.

Magic to the Bone is a truly great book. It's my first Devon Monk book and it most assuredly won't be my last. It's brilliantly written and the character's Ms Monk creates are truly wonderful if at times a little mysterious. Yes of course I'm talking about the wonderful but extremely mysteriously annoying Zayvion Jones.

I loved how much of Allie's life we're given at times. It's not everything on one big shovel nor is it it the smallest of trickles that make you desperate for more or leaving you confused about how this situation arose. Which is something that I've found some urban fantasy authors do. But it's enough to fill all the questions you have at that point and leave you happy enough until the next point. Except for the ending!

There's not enough magic books out there that explain magic in a way like Ms Monk does nor leaves you feeling that it's something more and not something you can gain from just having a spell book, which is a lovely refreshing change.
Magic to the Bone opens up immense possibilities for characters and character relationships which I'm such a fan of. Although it does worry me that there might be a love triangle! I don't do love triangle's!

Ok I have to come back to this, I seriously can't get over the ending of this book! Like seriously. It plagued me for days afterwards. The only way I got over it was by reading the next book! Which sort of annoys me because I was so caught up in the scene I was reading that I forgot about the overall storyline and what I read at the beginning of the book. If I had been more aware then I don't think I would have been quite overtaken by it all. But at the end of it what's the point of that? The whole reason for reading something like Magic to the Bone is to be caught up in the storyline and become attached to the characters.

Overall I loved Magic to the Bone, I'm just sad it took me so long to read the series. I started it in 2012 and even though it's only 9 books I want to have read them by the end of 2013. A definite must read for any urban fantasy fans who haven't read this series yet!